Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MS-Money - v14 Error 80040154

Posted by Nannerbm60 
MS-Money - v14 Error 80040154
July 23, 2013 05:20PM
During the weekend I paid the $29.95 for the "test" ... Installed - ran against my Australian MS-Money - v14 ... it returned the 80040154 error - a few tests - nothing works and the help offers no solution ... I can't seem to register for the support forum. ...

The Australian version should be the same as Sunset from what I've read - I'm happy to beta, but need to get started here - now the tickers are turned off
Re: MS-Money - v14 Error 80040154
July 23, 2013 05:36PM
Your order has not been processed, and you have not and will not be charged. It shouldn't have been accepted by the system, because we are in the development and testing phase. ... In any event, if you have downloaded and installed PalOMoney on your computer, we will try to get it to work, regardless of your status.

> During the weekend I paid the $29.95 for the "test"
Not charged.

> ... Installed - ran against my Australian MS-Money - v14
V14 sounds like an earlier version. Is this a sunset version (typically 17.0?). We can probably support it, but how can we get a copy of what you have for testing? Your copy probably requires activation, but there is probably some grace period before lack of activation shuts Money down.

> ... it returned the 80040154 error
Did that happen with File | Open ? Or some other function?

From the wiki https://www.palomoney.com/wiki/index.php/Error_Codes: 80040154 -- Money DB engine is not registered on your computer. Earlier MoneyPal versions required a registered Money DB engine. Upgrade to MoneyPal 1.0.3-c or later, where this is optional and not required.

This "not registered" message means that PalOMoney could not find the registration information for your Money installation. This was supposed to be fixed in recent versions. What version are you running (Help | About). Perhaps the system let you download a really old version. Compare the versions with Current_Version. If they are the same, the registration information is in a different location in the registry at HKLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) \Software\Microsoft\Money\17.0\Setup

Yours is probably under 14.0 or something like that. It would be helpful for you to export your registry key and post or email it.

You can register Money's msofd.dll and bypass this method.
1. Open a command prompt
2. Change directory to your Money installation folder where msofd.dll resides, typically "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles".

You need the quotation marks because of the space in the path. You can use Explorer to find msofd.dll, then copy the path to your command prompt window.

3. Register msofd.dll by entering "Regsvr32 msofd.dll" (no quotes). Observe a "success" message.

4. Launch PalOMoney and try to open your Money file.

Please keep us posted. We will try to work out any other issues with version 14.

> - a few tests - nothing works and the help offers no solution
If the file doesn't open, nothing will work.

> ... I can't seem to register for the support forum. ...
You are registered now, and a member of the Testers group. Post support messages there, or in the support forum.

> The Australian version should be the same as Sunset from what I've read
How did you install it? Is there a download we can do and install it here?

You can try installing the US version on another machine, creating a test file, and installing PalOMoney on that to identify obscure operating system or language issues.

> - I'm happy to beta, but need to get started here - now the tickers are turned off
Got it. We will try to get you going. BTW, this is pre-alpha, not beta -- a different animal indeed.

We are also working on a version that will cross convert different language and market versions to the US sunset version. It may start out as a service. See Money_File_Conversion

(Posted redacted copy of support email to Testers forum)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 11:00PM by Support.
Re: Problems with AUS V14
July 25, 2013 12:23PM
Thank you for the tips.

After a little initial thought - I worked through the problem and solved the first level problem - the 80040154 error - by performing the registration thus:

Register msofd.dll by entering "Regsvr32 msofd.dll" (no quotes).

I then ran PalOMoney and tried to open your Money file.

This generated my next error message (passing the 80040154 msg without opening the file):

The window: Online helper for Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. ...

I'm not sure what event triggered the Help to try to open - however the result is not surprising as the help servers are off-line now

Before I upload all sorts or registry keys and debug information - I will work with a fresh install on the weekend.

To summarise however, I am running:

Windows XP Professional SP3
MS Money Deluxe v14.0.120.1105 .... updated to MS Money 2005 (as reported in the registry)
PalOMoney v1.0.5.932

MS Money came on a CD, so a bit tricky to upload. .... I have not yet tried conversion to sunset because the information available was that it did not "do" international files.

If you have any thoughts on the Online helper problem, I will address on the weekend.

If you have a preferred beta tester report format please send it
Re: Problems with AUS V14
July 25, 2013 06:54PM
Ok, the registration worked.

> I then ran PalOMoney and tried to open your Money file.
Your (not our) money file, right?

> This generated my next error message (passing the 80040154 msg without opening the file)
I'm not sure what this means. I suppose you did not get the 80040154 message, which comes before you open your Money file.

> The window: Online helper for Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. ...
This is a windows message, and not a PalOMoney message. It means that the error was not anticipated by PalOMoney, so the operating system (Windows) handled it by shutting PalOMoney down.

These messages come with additional information that say exactly where the problem occurred. Please copy and paste and post that information to a reply on this forum. Also subscribe (Follow topic) and choose the Email option so you don't have to constantly poll the forum for new messages.

> I'm not sure what event triggered the Help to try to open - however the result is not surprising as the help servers are off-line now.
This is not actually Help, and also not Money, but Windows error handling, which has nothing to do with Money's servers.

> Before I upload all sorts or registry keys and debug information - I will work with a fresh install on the weekend.
Ok.

> To summarise however, I am running:
> Windows XP Professional SP3
> MS Money Deluxe v14.0.120.1105 .... updated to MS Money 2005 (as reported in the registry)
> PalOMoney v1.0.5.932

Ok, we can try to support this configuration.

> MS Money came on a CD, so a bit tricky to upload.
Probably the best thing to do is to convert it into an ISO file, and upload that, or a zipped version of that. There are a variety of free Disk to ISO utilities available. One is MagicDisk free CD/DVD manager by MagicISO. There are others.

> .... I have not yet tried conversion to sunset because the information available was that it did not "do" international files.
I think there are a quite a few non-US users in your situation.

> If you have any thoughts on the Online helper problem, I will address on the weekend.
There was another build, not released, that you can try replacing PalOMoney.exe with 1.0.05a. It is in a zip file to which we will email you a link. See error opening intl english.

> If you have a preferred beta tester report format please send it
Please use the PalOMoney Tester or Support forums, in any free form. We have a support portal, but it is professional grade, meaning it is nearly impossible for ordinary folks to use!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 09:03PM by dev.
Re: MS-Money - v14 Error
July 28, 2013 07:35AM
Dear Pal,

Appreciate that this is pre-alpha. ... Still worthwhile, although my guess is that someone needs to get in and do a MS Money re-write for the 21st Century (noting Money started a ways back!)

I have tried to progress the use of PalOMoney with the Upgraded Australian version: MS Money Deluxe v14.0.120.1105 on my XP SP3 box - not finished yet. ... This version was the subject of an online update, and so, since the servers are gone, I can not develop an ISO image to upload - just the very old (2004) original. Pest!

So far, with your help, I have got past the first error using "Regsvr32 msofd.dll" ... and the next (Error 80040154) by replacing PalOmoney.exe with https://www.palomoney.com/pom/PalOMoney_exe_1_0_5_a_x86d.zip

This now allows me to:

1) successfully open both MS Money and PalOMoney and
2) load and open my file - "test2" into PalOMoney and display the correct stocks ... yay!

However - the PalOMoney logfile did log an error:

2013-07-28_17-00-55=Opening C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\Personal\test2.mny...
2013-07-28_17-00-55=Error 2 locating Money installation
2013-07-28_17-00-55=File Open Succeeded

Next, boldly, I approached the next step - "Update":

No success:- The MoneyPal logfile reports:

2013-07-28_17-05-19=MoneyPal 1.0.3.205 using quote source 0: 'Finance.Yahoo.CSV' and log level 0.
2013-07-28_17-05-19=Opening Money File 'C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\Personal\test2.mny'
2013-07-28_17-05-19=Error 2 locating Money installation

with no update.

From those log msgs it seems to be that my MS Money version is not recognised fully.

In the spirit of testing, I downloaded Sunset to another XP machine and tried to open my test2 file - no success. ... too different.

I've tried to fool PalOMoney into thinking my MS Money version was version 17 like - swapping out .dll files etc etc. ... no luck.

The registry files are significantly different ... but I'm not sure what the impact of that is. I''ve attached the an export of the Money registry segment from

HKLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) \Software\Microsoft\Money

I'm done here - without success. Is there more you can do to aid? ... I get the feeling "I" (and therefore the internationals) am close. ... my guess is that in the end I will have to append my stocks with a ".AX" to reflect the Australian Stock Exchange once I get to the Yahoo servers - but that is no biggy.

Regards
Money.reg
Re: MS-Money - v14 Error
July 28, 2013 04:53PM
You are getting closer. Evidently, MoneyPal (used by the internal quote sources) also cannot find the installation folder, because it is looking at the following "InstallDir" registry key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Money\17.0\Setup]
"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Money Plus\\MNYCoreFiles"

Copy and paste the code above into a text file, and save as, for example, "MsMoney17r0Setup_InstallDir.reg". Change the folders so that the Money folder is your v14 install folder. Right click the ".reg" file, and select Merge. You can check that it imported correctly using Regedit (part of Windows). With this entry, both PalOMoney and MoneyPal will be able to locate the core Money program files.

Keep us posted!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2013 04:57PM by Support.
MoneyPal International Flaw Corrected
July 30, 2013 12:55AM
It also turns out that MoneyPal.exe has the same problem with older or international Money versions as PalOMoney. You can download MoneyPal version 1.0.3-d using the link in a private message to you.
Re: MoneyPal International Flaw Corrected
August 03, 2013 08:10AM
Dear Pal ... Success!!!

I played around last weekend with no success - then, seeing your message about MoneyPal version 1.0.3-d, I downdloaded last night and then early Saturday morning (about 4am ... I was awake and curious!) I fired up PalOMoney ... Initially - no success, but then tried history back to 01 July 13 (servers turn-off date) and bang! ... Of course initially the quotes were wrong - non US stocks must be appended with the correct exchange suffix:- .AX in the case of Australia.

I manually deleted the wrong quotes on stocks and then made a few adjustments in Money to limit the stock quotes I sourced on-line ... re-run and now have correct quotes from 01 July - 01 August. ...

It is cheating death but only in ones and zeros.

I'll write this all up next week - send it to you and get my brother to do a test install on my parent's machine - If 80 y.o. folk can run it - it is good to go.

Thanks ... one happy camper.
August 03, 2013 02:46PM

I fired up PalOMoney ... Initially - no success, but then tried history back to 01 July 13 (servers turn-off date) and bang! ...

I understand that the real time quotes did nothing, but that the historical quotes worked, is that right? What do the log files show?

The internal quote sources use different URLs for their quotes. Perhaps the internal real time quote source could not find your stocks, but somehow they worked using the internal historical quote source.

Of course initially the quotes were wrong - non US stocks must be appended with the correct exchange suffix:- .AX in the case of Australia.

Does your Money file store Australian quotes like <symbol>.AX ? The Yahoo Finance web page uses this format.

I manually deleted the wrong quotes on stocks and then made a few adjustments in Money to limit the stock quotes I sourced on-line ... re-run and now have correct quotes from 01 July - 01 August. ...

We might have to adjust the quote sources. What online quotes work and which did you disable? You can post them or PM them to me (use above link).

You can also try using external quote sources. Install the example and see if it works for real time quotes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 02:46PM by Support.
August 04, 2013 09:28PM
>

I understand that the real time quotes did
> nothing, but that the historical quotes worked, is
> that right? What do the log files show?

It was Saturday with market closed. ... I'll check tonight - using the proven .AX suffix

>

Does your Money file store Australian quotes like
> <symbol>.AX ? The Yahoo Finance web page uses this
> format.

Yes. I had to manually edit the ticker in Money under Investment Details

>

We might have to adjust the quote sources. What
> online quotes work and which did you disable? You
> can post them or PM them to me (use above link).

I think there is an Australian Yahoo Finace site - not yet tried that

>

You can also try using external quote sources.
> Install the example and see if it works for real
> time quotes.

I've got a bit of tidying up to do first - then sort out the parents

Thx for now
August 05, 2013 08:33PM
OK - I;ve confirmed from the log files - last night and this morning - live updates don't work for Australian Quotes into the US because the date time group is wrong. As I write this - it is 0617 on 6 August locally - last close was on Monday 5th.

Historical quotes pick up the correct closes from Thursday, Friday and Monday, not Tuesday 6th, which doesn't exist yet. See for example the BHP.AX csv file attached, and the related log file.

I can live with it until I check out the Australian Yahoo site.

I have note quite figured out how to "get" index quotes other than the US ones - thoughts?

Regards
Attachments:
open | download - MoneyPal_2013-08-06_05-57-43_BHP.AX_YahooFinanceHistQuote.csv (1 KB)
open | download - MoneyPal_2013-08-06_05-57-43.log (19.9 KB)
open | download - MoneyPal_2013-08-06_05-57-43_YahooFinanceQuote.csv (354 bytes)
August 07, 2013 03:07AM
Looking at your log files, the historical quotes seem to be working.

The Yahoo Finance real time quotes in MoneyPal_2013-08-06_05-57-43_YahooFinanceQuote.csv are asking for the wrong tickers, e.g., "BHP-AX" instead of "BHP.AX". Likely Yahoo Finance is rejecting this.

This will require some research. There is a "feature" in PalOMoney or MoneyPal that converts periods ('.') to hyphens to handle issues in the US market, and that you are storing the ticker as "BHP.AX" and the software is substituting the hyphen. Obviously, this feature is not going to work for you. The solution is an update that will allow configuration of (disabling) this substitution, which you would turn off.

We will create a feature request for this issue. This will result in yet another update, but that's what testing is all about!

[Alternately, the substitution can be permanently turned off. The reason it is there is to provide compatibility with the US MS quote servers, which some say are no longer in service anyway. Existing users would have to change any symbols to use the Yahoo finance nomenclature. But we would hate to break anything that works now.]
August 15, 2013 12:55PM
Foreign Market Index Tickers that work straight into PalOMoney are generally prefixed by at ^ and are a straight quote from Yahoo

So the Australian All Ordinaries is changed from $AOI in MS Money to ^AORD. The other typical indicies include:
^HSI ^TWII ^KS11 ^GDAXI ^BSESN ^FCHI
August 15, 2013 03:21PM
Thank you for your input. Do you have a link to some documentation that might list this and other conventions?

Also, we are still working on the period-hyphen substitution issue.

From an earlier post:

Nannerbm60
OK - I've confirmed from the log files - last night and this morning - live updates don't work for Australian Quotes into the US because the date time group is wrong. As I write this - it is 0617 on 6 August locally - last close was on Monday 5th.

Is this issue resolved? I realized I didn't really understand this. The one file for the real time quotes (MoneyPal_2013-08-06_05-57-43_YahooFinanceQuote.csv) shows:

Ticker, Close, Date, Time
"$AOI-AX",0.00,"N/A","N/A"
"BHP-AX",0.00,"N/A","N/A"
"ASB-AX",0.00,"N/A","N/A"
"TLS-AX",0.00,"N/A","7:36am"
In this case, the hyphens (e.g., "BHP-AX") were substituted for periods, and the quote server didn't recognize the symbol, so the real time quotes didn't work. But I can't find a log file showing date problems. Perhaps you meant that historical quotes don't work as real time quotes. Could you point me in the right direction?
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.