Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WTB: Commercial Pro regulator+hose assy.

Posted by debugger 
WTB: Commercial Pro regulator+hose assy.
July 18, 2022 09:09PM
Might anyone have a good used one available at a reasonable price, or am I stuck with $120 from mosquitomagnetrepair.com ?

thx.mch.
jl
Re: WTB: Commercial Pro regulator+hose assy.
July 19, 2022 03:05PM
The propane regulators seem to wear out, become clogged, or otherwise fail from time to time. (You don't cover or protect the regulator from the elements as recommended, do you?)

Instead of looking for a used device, you could explore replacing the assembly with new parts. This is all part of the fun, looking for new parts to repair old systems.

It seems that the Commercial Pro unit uses a 10 psi output regulator like in this picture from mosquitomagnetrepair.com. The Defender and other traps come with a standard propane grill regulator with about 11 inWC (inches of water column, about 0.4 psi) fixed regulator, but this is evidently not that. ... The so-called "high pressure" regulators are generally adjustable in the range of 1 or 2 to 20 or higher psi. The one above looks dealer marked "10 psi" and seems to be fixed at 10 psi. One web page shows the KLI International model 9000 regulator shown as 0-30 psi adjustable (presumably by a screwdriver adjustment under the cap).

Your existing hose assembly with the quick connect adapter might be connected to a new regulator using an appropriate fitting. For example, this $18 regulator comes with 4 fittings. Perhaps one of these fittings will match your existing hose. (Odd that they seem to include the yellow gas fitting tape, but don't use the tape on the threads in their illustrations.) I don't know anything about gas hose barb fittings, but I doubt it is rocket science, or at least we don't want it to be, so ask a plumber.

Alternatively, you could consider getting a new hose with the "quick connect" connector, if that is available. I had to use some fittings to replace the regulator in my Defender. See this blog post and adjacent posts.
July 20, 2022 06:20AM
You're assuming that I have "an existing". Not the case. Mine came (used, of course) without, so I need something to try to bring it up with.

And although I normally do appreciate the notion of "the thrill of the chase", I simply have too much going on right now to indulge in that. I just need something that works asafp that won't break the bank; once it's up and running I can try to have some fun too.
July 20, 2022 04:07PM
You're assuming that I have "an existing". Not the case. Mine came (used, of course) without, so I need something to try to bring it up with.

Too bad. The "quick connect" fitting does not look like a standard, commonly available low pressure connector. I understand "low pressure" to mean 11 inWC, and 10 psi is ~25 times that. It seems you are stuck with the expensive replacement assembly unless you are willing to hack into the unit and replace the the gas input feed line (and yellow tape). The high pressure 10 psi connection seems more dangerous than the low pressure lines used on later model traps. Let us hope the female connector on your trap is undamaged and in good working order.

I wonder why a quick connect is even necessary - perhaps disconnecting the hose is required to open the case (which you likely will be doing later) as a fixed hose might get somewhat in the way (as it does in the Defender).
July 20, 2022 04:47PM
Honestly, I don't know enough about these connector styles to know what's common or not. I haven't looked at this since last summer, so I'll have to confirm that I have the stock connector on the unit, in which case I just need the replacement hose and regulator. But the notion that 10psi is "dangerous" is a little silly; anyone who thinks that needs to curl up under his blankie with his teddy. I do my own home gasfitting and have never felt the slightest bit nervous about it. I also prefer teflon pipe dope to tape, and use tape only for air and water fittings.

Quick connects are rarely "necessary" - one can always hack crap up - but convenience and modularity count in my world.
July 21, 2022 03:10AM
debugger wrote:

I simply have too much going on right now to indulge in that. I just need something that works asafp that won't break the bank; once it's up and running I can try to have some fun too.

Ha ha, then you shouldn't have picked a Mosquito Magnet! :)
July 22, 2022 02:41PM
Quick connects are rarely "necessary" - one can always hack crap up - but convenience and modularity count in my world.

The female connector picture from mosquitomagnetrepair.com, is explained "Threads directly into the Commercial Pro (1000MM) model Mosquito Magnet." ... That looks like a standard thread on the MM side. If so, you might have some luck finding the right fitting and using a standard high pressure regulator set to 10 psi. While unscrewing the hose to open the case is not as convenient as popping off a quick connect fitting, it doesn't seem all that difficult, either (famous last words), and does preserve the modularity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login