Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Further testing & History options - update tab issues

Posted by Nannerbm60 
Further testing & History options - update tab issues
September 21, 2013 06:54AM
I have been using PalOMoney as a robust stock quote companion for the Australian Money v14.0.120.115 now for a month since my last post on 15 Aug 13 in the topic v14 Error 80040154.

... this works well for both stocks (I can confirm that the method is to append all Australian stock tickers with .AX) and for quoting the All Ordinaries Index on the Australian Stock Exchange (as ^AORD).

From my testing, it seems that Yahoo accepts Australian stock tickers labelled XXX.AX and that the log file reports them as XXX-AX. ... This is no big deal I think - it works, and the .AX nomenclature is from Stocks App on the iPhone / iPad, which sources from Yahoo. I may give this a bit more thought next weekend, but this version works for me.

However, and more importantly, I have been using the "History" tickbox option under the "Update" radio button in PalOMoney. The options here do not work as I expected ... and the options selected revert to defaults after each update. The main issue I see is that:

*** No matter what date is set in the "From Date" area of the History options, Running "Update" with "History" ticked and options set - only reports daily quotes for the past 20-23 trading days ***

This appears independent of how or what the "From Date" is set in the option (I have tried 60 days default, 90 days and manual sets to 01/01/2013 etc), ... PalOMoney is only returning 20-23 trading days ... not sure if this is a Yahoo limit or a PalOMoney feature ... but I can not use it to bridge the gap to 01 July anymore (more like 90 days now) or get any existing ticker prices older than mid August. ... and adding new tickers leaves me a bit short on only 20 days history. ... I've attached today's log and the csv files for BHP shares and the All Ords Industry ... from the History request of 90 days for your analysis.

Otherwise it is good product, needing a little interface tweaking before release to MS-Money-Hungry users (that's be the install MS Money user base :-)
Attachments:
open | download - MoneyPal_2013-09-21_16-38-27_YahooFinanceQuote.log (5.6 KB)
open | download - MoneyPal_2013-09-21_16-38-27_^AORD_YahooFinanceHistQuote.csv (935 bytes)
open | download - MoneyPal_2013-09-21_16-38-27_BHP.AX_YahooFinanceHistQuote.csv (1.1 KB)
Re: Further testing & History options - update tab issues
September 21, 2013 02:35PM
Nannerbm60 Wrote:

... this works well for both stocks (I can confirm that the method is to append all Australian stock tickers with .AX) and for quoting the All Ordinaries Index on the Australian Stock Exchange (as ^AORD).

Good. Are these all the Australian cases? Are there other conventions we should know about?

From my testing, it seems that Yahoo accepts Australian stock tickers labelled XXX.AX and that the log file reports them as XXX-AX. ... This is no big deal I think - it works, and the .AX nomenclature is from Stocks App on the iPhone / iPad, which sources from Yahoo. I may give this a bit more thought next weekend, but this version works for me.

It breaks your real time quotes. The real time quote internal source substitutes '-' for '.', and there is no switch to turn it off. It was there because Money used the '.' to separate a symbol from its class, e.g. brk.a and brk.b. The substitution allowed the original symbol to be used transparently. But this seems less and less necessary, since it is easy to change the symbol in Money. We are working on a switch to disable this feature, but it might be better to just permanently disable this substitution and require uses who have '.' to change them to '-' manually. Very few stocks are involved.

But this change would enable you to use the real time quotes, which are a lot of fun, as you see how much money you made or lost during the day!

However, and more importantly, I have been using the "History" tickbox option under the "Update" radio button in PalOMoney. The options here do not work as I expected ... and the options selected revert to defaults after each update. The main issue I see is that:

The Frequency sticks but the Starting date doesn't, however, the "Number of days previous" sticks, and "Last Day of the period" does as well. The basic idea is the once quotes have been obtained starting at a particular date, they don't need to be obtained again. Hit the Days Previous button to quickly apply a certain number of previous days to the start date.

*** No matter what date is set in the "From Date" area of the History options, Running "Update" with "History" ticked and options set - only reports daily quotes for the past 20-23 trading days ***

This seems to be a PalOMoney/MoneyPal bug. The MoneyPal_(date-time) log file contains the URL being used, for example

http://ichart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AAPL&a=7&b=22&c=2013&g=d&ignore=.csv

This was the result of asking for 60 days previous data. However, the Yahoo Finance API specifies the month beginning at zero, not 1, so the request should have been ..&a=6... instead of 7. If this is a verified bug, it will trigger an immediate fix and update.

In the meantime, specify the starting date one month previous.

This appears independent of how or what the "From Date" is set in the option (I have tried 60 days default, 90 days and manual sets to 01/01/2013 etc), ... PalOMoney is only returning 20-23 trading days ... not sure if this is a Yahoo limit or a PalOMoney feature ... but I can not use it to bridge the gap to 01 July anymore (more like 90 days now) or get any existing ticker prices older than mid August. ... and adding new tickers leaves me a bit short on only 20 days history. ... I've attached today's log and the csv files for BHP shares and the All Ords Industry ... from the History request of 90 days for your analysis.

This URL gets data back to 6/24/2013:
http://ichart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AAPL&a=5&b=22&c=2013&g=d&ignore=.csv

Also, daily quotes may bloat your Money file, and bog down charts, etc. The basic recommendation is for weekly quotes. Let us know how well your graphs, etc work. How large is your Money file?

Otherwise it is good product, needing a little interface tweaking before release to MS-Money-Hungry users (that's be the install MS Money user base :-)

Suggestions on specific tweaks are appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2013 02:53PM by Support.
Re: Further testing & History options - update tab issues
September 21, 2013 10:45PM
Support Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Good. Are these all the Australian cases? Are
> there other conventions we should know about?

Yes, At present I am tracking only Australian (.AX) stocks and the Australian All Ordinaries Index (^AORD) - I have a couple of US stocks for "benchmarking" and the normal spread of international index tickers that are in Money - I have _not_ experimented with them yet.

It breaks your real time quotes. The real time
> quote internal source substitutes '-' for '.', and
> there is no switch to turn it off. It was there
> because Money used the '.' to separate a symbol
> from its class, e.g. brk.a and brk.b. The
> substitution allowed the original symbol to be
> used transparently. But this seems less and less
> necessary, since it is easy to change the symbol
> in Money. We are working on a switch to disable
> this feature, but it might be better to just
> permanently disable this substitution and require
> uses who have '.' to change them to '-' manually.
> Very few stocks are involved.
>
> But this change would enable you to use the real
> time quotes, which are a lot of fun, as you see
> how much money you made or lost during the day!

The use of the .AX extension may break the real time quote, but the use of the -AX extension does not return the history ... in this case the .AX extension seems to be required - I will check next weekend - grabbing this week's quotes. All my stocks are now set to .AX - including the closed positions and accounts ... Money and PalOMoney trawl the lot!

The Frequency sticks but the Starting date
> doesn't, however, the "Number of days previous"
> sticks, and "Last Day of the period" does as well.
> The basic idea is the once quotes have been
> obtained starting at a particular date, they don't
> need to be obtained again. Hit the Days Previous
> button to quickly apply a certain number of
> previous days to the start date.

OK - I understand the background - however, if the user introduces more tickers, then they will need a bit more history - MS Money seems(ed) to default to 1 year history. I'll check carefully next weekend

This seems to be a PalOMoney/MoneyPal bug. The
> MoneyPal_(date-time) log file contains the URL
> being used, for example
>
> http://ichart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AAPL&a=7&b=22&
> c=2013&g=d&ignore=.csv
>
> This was the result of asking for 60 days previous
> data. However, the Yahoo Finance API specifies the
> month beginning at zero, not 1, so the request
> should have been ..&a=6... instead of 7. If this
> is a verified bug, it will trigger an immediate
> fix and update.
>
> In the meantime, specify the starting date one
> month previous.

I thought that I had checked this - but will experiment again.

This URL gets data back to 6/24/2013:
> http://ichart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AAPL&a=5&b=22&
> c=2013&g=d&ignore=.csv
>
> Also, daily quotes may bloat your Money file, and
> bog down charts, etc. The basic recommendation is
> for weekly quotes. Let us know how well your
> graphs, etc work. How large is your Money file?

Money file is large - after a decade of usage - It carries the history of my finances and intevestments - about 32 Meg. Eventually it will break - I back it up daily and segment every six months.

Regards
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.