Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fails / crashes with MSM2007

Posted by vpupkin 
Fails / crashes with MSM2007
August 06, 2013 04:42PM
I used MSM 2007 (v16), and it fails to load .mny files (even sample ones); out of the box it is similar to the issue reported with Australian v14 (unable to find installation etc). I copied the whole registry subtree from 16.0 into 17.0, but then POM just crashes on load. I am unable to register dll manually as registration fails...

Help?
Try Updating to Pre-17 Compatible Version
August 07, 2013 02:46AM
vpupkin
I used MSM 2007 (v16), and it fails to load .mny files (even sample ones); out of the box it is similar to the issue reported with Australian v14 (unable to find installation etc).
Help?
Let's try the same solution as the international version, which is new versions of the PalOMoney.exe and MoneyPal.exe. You will get a private message with a link to download. Please download, unzip, and copy to your PalOMoney installation folder.
vpupkin
I copied the whole registry subtree from 16.0 into 17.0, but then POM just crashes on load.
That's progress, so now it looks like you need the update.

By the way, don't copy the whole subtree, just add the one registration entry in the other topic. This will cause problems if you install a sunset version. Delete the subtree, and use the reg file, repeated below:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Money\17.0\Setup]
"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Money Plus\\MNYCoreFiles"
Copy and paste the code above into a text file, and save as, for example, "MsMoney17r0Setup_InstallDir.reg". Change the folders so that the Money folder is your v14 install folder. Right click the ".reg" file, and select Merge. You can check that it imported correctly using Regedit (part of Windows). With this entry, both PalOMoney and MoneyPal will be able to locate the core Money program files.

vpupkin
I am unable to register dll manually as registration fails...
Registration works only when running as Administrator under Vista, 7, and later. You need an administrative command prompt then change directory, then Regsvr32 ... etc.

Check for the private message with the 2 download links.
Re: Try Updating to Pre-17 Compatible Version
August 07, 2013 04:18PM
The new version certainly improved things - now I am able to open sample.mny. However, my actual data file is password-protected, and POM is unable to process it. I have it set up with online id, but even if i remove it and set up a plain password it still doesn't work. It doesn't seem that I can remove password completely (the option is between plain password and online id, and it won't allow to spec empty password)...
Re: Try Updating to Pre-17 Compatible Version
August 07, 2013 08:38PM
vpupkin
The new version certainly improved things - now I am able to open sample.mny. However, my actual data file is password-protected, and POM is unable to process it. I have it set up with online id, but even if i remove it and set up a plain password it still doesn't work.

Can you open it in Money 2007 using the internal (plain) password?

What is the exact version of your Money program -- e.g., US English? Deluxe or Personal and Business?

vpupkin
It doesn't seem that I can remove password completely (the option is between plain password and online id, and it won't allow to spec empty password)...

Keep researching this, please. Please consult with the Microsoft Money Forum for a method to remove the plain password. The forum recently suffered a format change that makes it significantly less easy to use, but please give it a try anyway. But it is funny that you should have to do this at all, because the plain (internal) password should just work.

What is the error code you get?

You can consider updating to Money Sunset. Passwords work in Sunset.
Re: Fails / crashes with MSM2007
August 07, 2013 09:29PM
I can open it in Money even after switching to plain password. My MSM is US English Deluxe 2007, and the error code is 800a1406. I am not planning to switch to Sunset as then the ability to do online updates (if somebody will implement a replacement quote server) will be lost. As it is, Sunset doesn't buy me anything that I don't have in 2007.

I'll see if I can find a way to remove password from the file completely.
Plain MSM2007 Password Does Not Work
August 07, 2013 10:37PM
vpupkin
I can open it in Money even after switching to plain password. My MSM is US English Deluxe 2007, and the error code is 800a1406.

Does your plain password contain any potentially odd characters or spaces, etc., that might be causing trouble? Can you change the password to something simple, like "dog" and see if that works? The Wiki Error Code topic says 800a1406 -- Missing or incorrect Microsoft Money (Jet) file password. Supply the correct password., so we are close here. We don't have a copy of MSM2007 to try here, otherwise we would.

vpupkin
I am not planning to switch to Sunset as then the ability to do online updates (if somebody will implement a replacement quote server) will be lost.
Right. PalOMoney has a project to replace the quote server, but that has been shelved for the time being. See the wiki Replacement Money Quote Source topic.

vpupkin
I'll see if I can find a way to remove password from the file completely.
Sure, but we do want to solve this problem as well as getting you going. You may be interested in the wiki Money Encryption topic.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.